Friday, April 4, 2008

Adoption Rollercoaster

Well this week has been an EMOTIONAL rollercoaster. We were told on Monday that a birthmother that looked at our profile chose another family but the agency wanted to show our profile to another mom. We told them okay and were told that they would call us back on Wednesday to let us know. On Tuesday afternoon we got a call saying that the birthmom had chose our profile and would like to set up a conference call with us on Thursday. We were also told that this baby was going to be born on April 16th by c-section and was even told what time this was going to happen. We were so excited thinking that in 2 weeks we could be adding another child to our family. We had the conference call on Thursday. I was a nervous wreck, but Travis seemed quite calm. We talked to "Danika" for approximately 20 minutes. She wasn't real talkative, but seemed friendly. The case worker from the agency called us back after the conference call and said that Danika thought we were a very nice family and wanted to sleep on her decision and would let us know on Friday morning what was going on. At noon on Friday I called the agency and was told that Danika wanted to set up another conference call with us on Monday just to talk some more. We were totally fine with this and set up a call for Monday at 5:30 pm. Then on Friday afternoon I got another call from the agency stating that Dankia just didn't feel right about our situation and was going to do something else. That was kind of a shock, but we really feel like OUR BABY will come to us when he is supposed too. I had to tell our kids that the baby that was supposed to be born in 2 weeks was not going to be coming to our family. They were a little sad at first, but seem fine now. I think from now on we will wait to tell them anything until it is really going to happen. Anyways, we are totally fine with her decision. I can't imagine what goes thru a birthmother's mind as she is picking a family to raise and love her baby. But this is really what has me a little frustrated. While I was on the phone with the agency on Friday, I was told that there was another birthmother that they would like to show our profile too, but the cost would be a little more. I asked why and was told that because this baby was 3/4 African American and 1/4 Caucasian that the cost would go up $5,500. WHAT???? I thought a baby was a baby no matter what color of skin he had!! We told the agency that we would pass on that one and asked if there were any other situations. I was told that the only other one right now was a birthmother who had a schizophraniac (sp?) brother. Travis and I were a little nervous about that and decided to pass on that one too. Anyways I just had to vent. I've enjoyed working with the agency we're with, but I just don't get their view on charging different prices depending on the baby's skin color. I'll keep everyone updated.

9 comments:

Sundi @ The Life of a Cheap Chickadee said...

Ahhhhh what a mess. I kept reading thinking there would be a happier ending, but sounds like you have a good attitude. Patience right? I would hate trying to sell myself to someone over the phone. You guys are awsome, hang in there.

Kristin said...

He will come! You do have a great attitude, and you are a great mom. What a week. I am really surprised at the rate 'increase' that is wierd...

Lynn and Priscilla's family said...

Jillynne, I stumbled across your blog and read about your recent adoption rollercoaster. I'm so sorry! We had heard that you were getting a new addition. Lynn and I were really excited for you guys. We will keep you guys in our prayers and hope that "the one" will come along soon for you! Best of luck!

The Knight's said...

Hi...My name is Jen Knight...Travis graduated with my sister Lindy Torgersen. I found you on a friend's blog and noticed your post about adoption. We are in the process of adoption in Arizona..our first, a little boy that we got one week before his first birthday. He has been with us since Aug of 07...going on 9 months now. I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions about what agency your are working with. We are really wanting another little one soon and would love any info you could give us. Our email is
quad88zilla@hotmail.com if you wouldn't mind emailing me. We also have a blog but are private for Benjamin's sake. I am from Koosharem...and know a lot of people from your blog...the pace's the morgan's. Just wanted to say hi...and know what you are going through. We wish you the best!

Channa said...

Jillynne - I was excited to find your blog today. I enjoyed reading all about your adventures and activities and also about your recent adoption process. I think that is wonderful - I'm just so sorry that it is full of so many ups and down. We'll hope for the best and keep you in our prayers. I'm excited to keep reading your blog! Mine is private but if you'd like, send me your address and I'll email you an invitation. channadalton@gmail.com. Hope to hear from you soon!

Lynn and Priscilla's family said...

Jillynne, That would be fine to add us to your list. If it's o.k., we will add yours to ours. Thanks!

Jolee said...

Hey how are you guys? I found your blog through Channa's. Ours if www.ryanandjolee.blogspot.com if you want to check it out. It does sound like you have been on a rollercoaster ride with the adoption. Like you said though, he will come when the time is right. I am almost done at BYU to become a social worker so I know what you mean about the frustrations with agencies. Anyway I'm glad I found your blog and hope to keep in touch.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

I had no idea you guys were trying to adopt! I hope all goes better than this last week. I had friends that were foster parents and to me it seemed almost as frustrating and what you have to endure! I love your blog...so cute! I added you to my blog list also! Lets keep in touch!

Blackburns said...

Hey guys, I found your blog on Lynn and Priscilla's blog. It's fun to find people you know and haven't seen or heard from for a long time. Does Sabrina and Ashley have a blog. If they don't tell her to get busy and get one. Good luck with your adoption. I have a couple of boys you could have somedays.:) jk Emily