Saturday, January 24, 2009

4 Years Ago.....

Wow, it's hard to believe that 4 years ago, this is what we were facing. This was the day that we had dreaded since Thanksgiving... Travis and the rest of the 222 were leaving for what ended up being a 17 month activation. This day was a blur. We had to be at the armory at 8 am (I think). We hung around the armory as long as possible and then headed to the airport. I tried to keep the thought of Travis leaving supressed as far back in my brain as I could. But the moment finally came when Travis had to board the plane. I didn't cry in front of him. I tried to be strong because I knew how worried he was and I had to be strong for him and my kids. Of course my heart was breaking as I thought, "How am I going to do this for the next year and a half?" Well the story has a happy ending as Travis and the rest of the 222 came home ALIVE!! As I look back on the experience, I think of it as a real growing experience. Travis and I talked on the phone just about everyday and I can only think of one time that I hung up the phone a little mad at Travis. And I felt so guilty about that and was so relieved the next time he called me. I made sure I was very positive not only to Travis but to my girls. Sure, I had my moments, but all in all it wasn't that bad. I grew so much as an individual and Trav and I grew together as a couple too! I met some wonderful people and did things that I never would have done if Travis was around like fix a faucet, re-wire a light, shovel snow etc. I tried hard to be a good mom to my girls and for the most part I'd say I tried my hardest everyday. Would I want him to go again....Umm NO but I know that if it did happen again we would trudge thru it and make it again!! Love ya Trav! Thanks for serving our country!
At the armory getting ready to weigh his bags.
Me and Trav. Ya, don't you love my red hair...NOT!
Brielle and Lainey. Brielle had just turned 5 and Lainey was 2.
Cherishing every moment they had together!
The Fam right before Travis boarded the plane.

2 comments:

Amy Roper said...

Jillynne-
So hard to believe that was 4 years ago! WOW! Your girls look so small! That was a hard time, but lots of good came from it! I am so glad Travis and Jason ended up being room mates and we became friends. I really think that is part of what helped me get through it all! Thanks! I still cannot believe that was 4 years ago and it really makes me sick to look at those photos! Does it you? I think I will post on my blog about it, too! Hope you are all doing well!
~Amy

Libby And Brock said...

I will never forget that day.. Carter was only 5 months old and Sadie was almost 2 and I was wondering how I was going to do it alone. Thanks for reminding me!